“Blessed” is the theme of the 30th General Assembly, which will take place Wednesday, June 23, through Saturday, June 26, at Cherry Creek Presbyterian Church in Englewood, Colorado.
The Commissioner’s Handbook has been mailed to all commissioners who had registered by May 31. The Handbook can also be downloaded from the EPC website (www.epc.org). A summary of what to expect:
As of this date, 430 people have registered for the 2010 Workshop, “God’s People for God’s Mission – A Day with Reggie McNeal.” Reggie is the Missional Leadership Specialist for the Leadership Network. Among his books are Present-Future (2003) and Missional Renaissance (2009).
Officers to be Elected
On Thursday morning Nominating Committee chair RE Mirv Metzger (East Presbytery) will nominate RE Rob Liddon (Central South) as the Moderator of the 30th General Assembly. Rob will be installed as Moderator at the Thursday night worship service. TE Doug Klein (West Presbytery) will be introduced Thursday morning as Moderator-elect. He will be formally nominated and elected on Saturday morning.
Keynote speaker Dr. Richard Pratt will preach Thursday morning and Thursday night. At the evening service, we will also commission World Outreach missionaries. On Friday evening, Dr. Don Sweeting, who has just departed our host church to take the presidency of Reformed Theological Seminary-Orlando, Florida, will preach. At that service, we will also commission Kevin Brown for another three-year term as an EPC Home Missionary. 29th GA Moderator Nate Atwood will preach at the Moderator’s Communion service on Friday morning and Rob Hock will preach on Saturday morning.
Interim Committee on Women Teaching Elders
The Interim Committee will present its report and take questions and comments during an information only session on Thursday afternoon. Assembly deliberation and action on the report will take place at the Friday morning business session.
The Assembly will welcome Azim Janbakiyev from Rakim Fellowship in Kazakhstan and also representatives from the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (ARP) and the Presbyterian Church of America (PCA).
World Outreach Missionaries
A special feature of this year’s Assembly will be the presence of most of our World Outreach Missionaries. They are gathering at Keystone Resort in the Colorado mountains June 16-21 for a WO “Homecoming.”
Bart Hess Award
The award this year will be given to Clayton Community Church, Clayton, California. Shawn Robinson is the pastor.
Two proposals addressing presbytery boundaries are coming to this year’s Assembly. Mid-America Presbytery is asking for a division of its presbytery. The Committee on Administration is recommending to the Assembly that a study committee be formed to help assess the best way for new presbyteries to be created.
Women in Ministries
The Women in Ministries Committee is proposing a change in the size of its committee to reflect the effort to resource and support women’s ministries in our presbyteries and local churches.
Connecting with others who have similar ministry interests is a valued part of the General Assembly meeting. Lots of connecting will happen informally. There are also some structured times planned during lunch on Thursday and Friday June 24 and 25. Pick up your lunch and head to a group that interests you.
Thursday, June 24
· Chaplains: A gathering for EPC Chaplains (retired and active), chaplain candidates, or those interested in chaplaincy ministry. Hosted by the Chaplains Subcommittee.
· Fraternal Guests: A gathering of the permanent Fraternal Relations Committee with fraternal guests and delegates to the Assembly.
· College Ministries: For churches located in, near, or interested in ministering to college/university communities. Hosted by members of the College Ministries Committee.
· Church and Social Media: An introduction to what social media is, what it means for ministry, and how the EPC is utilizing it. Led by Dana Cadman, EPC Communications Manager.
· Children’s Ministries Leaders: Hosted by the EPC Christian Education & Publications Committee.
· Worship Leaders: Hosted by Zac Hicks, Minister of Worship & Liturgy, Cherry Creek Presbyterian Church.
· Putting Wind in National Leaders’ Sails: Hosted by David Baer, president of Overseas Council
· World Harvest Mission: Come to learn more about World Harvest and enjoy a special dessert!
· Women Ministers and Candidates: Hosted by Joyce Harris, First Presbyterian Church, Kokomo, Indiana.
· Friday, June 25
· Benefits Q&A: Fidelity Retirement Plan Resources and Highmark Health Resources presented by representatives from Fidelity and Highmark.
· “Tall Steeple” Pastors: Networking time for ministers of large churches.
· Newly Ordained Ministers: Get acquainted with others who have been ordained in the past two years.
· Z-4:10 Network (Small Church Leaders): Networking and encouragement for leaders of small churches (worship attendance under 200).
· Church & Social Media: Repeat of Thursday’s session led by Dana Cadman, EPC Communications Manager.
· Broom Tree Ministries: Learn about spiritual retreat opportunities for ministers and spouses. Hosted by Dwayne and Rita Hanon.
· Church and Charter School Opportunities: Hear the story of City Church, Homestead, Florida. Hosted by pastor Chris Coppolo.